Quirks are aspects of a character’s personality, background, or physique that makes him better at some activities and worse at others. Each quirk provides some benefit, but carries a corresponding drawback.
Quirks are not mutations, but in many ways they resemble both perks and flaws. In addition to their game effects, quirks suggest personality characteristics that might lead to interesting roleplaying opportunities.
If the player wishes for his PC to possess a quirk, he may select one or roll on the following (optional) table:
Character Quirks Table
- Aggressive: +1 to Initiative / Opponents receive +1 to hit.
- Beast-Hunter: +1 to hit mutant animals / –1 vs. other foes.
- Double-Jointed: +2 to reflex saves / –2 to fortitude saves.
- Expeditious: Base speed increased by 3″ / –1 hp per rank.
- Generalist: +1 bonus to each feat check at 1st rank instead of a +3 bonus to a single class feat.
- Jock: +2 to Might checks / –2 to Lore checks.
- Marksman: +1 to hit with projectile weapons / –1 to hit in melee.
- Musclebound: +2 to Might checks / –2 to Skill checks.
- Mutant-Hunter: +1 to hit mutant humanoids / –1 vs. other foes.
- Myopic: +2 to Lore checks / –2 to Skill checks.
- Nerd: +2 to Lore checks / –2 to Might checks.
- Obstinate: +2 to will saves / –2 to reflex saves.
- Reckless: +1 to melee damage / –1 to hit (melee & ranged).
- Robust: +1 hp per rank / Base speed reduced by 3″.
- Skinny: +2 to Skill checks / –2 to Might checks.
- Streetwise: +2 to Skill checks / –2 to Lore checks.
- Troglodyte: No disadvantage in darkness / -2 penalty to all d20 rolls in full sunlight.
- Unrefined: +2 to fortitude saves / –2 to will saves.
- Referee’s Choice: Select one of the quirks listed above.
- Player’s Choice: Select one of the quirks listed above.
Quirks are typically determined during PC creation. A character can have (at most) one quirk.
If the referee permits it, players may add quirks to experienced PCs. A player might be allowed to assign a quirk to his character after he has role-played the PC in a manner consistent with the quirk in question, or after a traumatic or life-changing experience.