Robots – General Characteristics
Although robots will vary widely in their construction, most have the following traits:
- Robots do not have ‘Hit Dice’ like other creatures. Instead each is given a ‘rank’ for the purpose of attack rolls, saving throws, etc. (A damaged robots will have fewer hit points, and must be repaired to regain them.)
- Robots are not susceptible to mind-influencing effects (such as some psionic powers).
- Robots are considered Ancient-Tech, and characters face Tech Level penalties when interacting with them. (Note that this does not apply to combat.)
- Robots generally have low AC and Damage Resistance. Robots require a power source (usually minifusion cells).
- Robots are susceptible to ion and EMP weapons. Ion weapons typically do an extra die of damage, while EMP weapons will stun robots.
- Robots are generally worth at least 1.5× XP for robots with ‘modified’ violence inhibitor, 2× XP for bots with no inhibitor, and 2.5× XP for berzerker bots.
Presented below are sample robots for each Security Level:
Household Droid (Security Level I): Rank 4 (32 hp), AC 5 / DR 1, MV 15″, SV +6, bludgeon (melee Atk +6, 1d6) or by weapon, 400 XP. Violence inhibitor.
Industrial Bot (Security Level II): Rank 8 (64 hp), AC 3 / DR 2, MV 9″, SV +8, trample (melee Atk +8, 1d12 + reflex save or knocked prone) or 2 tentacles (melee Atk +6/+6, 1d8/1d8), 800 XP. Violence inhibitor.
Ecological Bot (Security Level III): Rank 6 (48 hp), AC 5 / DR 2, MV 18″, SV +6, bludgeon (melee Atk +6, 1d8) or stun ray (ranged Atk +6, fortitude save vs. stun), 600 XP. Violence inhibitor.
Security Droid (Security Level IV): Rank 8 (64 hp), AC 3 / DR 3, MV 18″, SV +8, bludgeon (melee Atk +8, 1d8) or stun ray (ranged Atk +8, fortitude save vs. stun) or by weapon, 1200 XP. Violence inhibitor (modified).
Police Robot (Security Level V): Rank 10 (80 hp), AC 1 / DR 5 (DR 2 force field), MV 24″, SV +10, bludgeon (melee Atk +10, 1d8) or paralysis beam (ranged Atk +10, fortitude save vs. paralysis) or by weapon, 1500 XP. Violence inhibitor (modified).
Warbot (Security Level VI): Rank 15 (120 hp), AC 1 / DR 8 (DR 5 force field), MV 36″, SV +15, 8 lasers (ranged Atk +15, 2d6 each) and 2 mini-missiles (ranged Atk +13, 6d6 each), 3000 XP. No violence inhibitor.
(The stat blocks reflect undamaged ‘standard’ robots, not berzerker bots.)